Friday, September 15, 2006

A Good Day in Mexico is When You Call the Police and Noone Gets Shot!

But it WAS close...

Thursday we had gone over to the states to get a few of our things that were in storage and to help bring some of the donations for us across. It went well, if not uneventful (which is nice for a change) until we got home to our new apartment. after opening up the box with our dishes in it, Sharlene found (and evidently tried to deafen via screaming) a cockroach. IT WAS HUGE! the kind you see at the zoo or on TV. So the boys and I emptied the box, and found the critter and whacked him until he was (we thought...) dead. So then we emptied him out of the box and placed him on the floor next to a quarter for a picture opportunity (pic coming soon...) and the the little cucaracha started to pull himself away using th eonly leg he had left that worked. Shar was not impressed, though the boys and I thought it was pretty cool.. tough little feller... So I used a bit of foot power and finished him off... hopefully he didn'y lay and eggs in the box... HE WAS HUGE!!!

After getting supper and going to the store for extra strong cleaning supplies, we arrived back aqt our motor home property after dark. At the top of the hill was a van we'd never seen before just sitting there with the open gate. There has never been anyone at th eplace after dark, so it freaked us out and we drove on for a while.. as we drove by we could see down the hill and it was obvious that someone was creeping around with flashlights. Ok.... Now what do we do? Turns out my cell phon eis restricted form calling US numbers so I can't call the people who own the place to tel them, so I called the assoc. pastor at the church we go to and he calls the police. 15 minutes later, while we're watching lights move around, truck lights go on and of down there and lots of suspiscious activity, the police show up. they decide to go down and send Charlie (the assoc. pastor) in first I suppose as ashiled in case there is trouble. I followed down 3rd and got out to walk with them after I got a call saying that the people down there might be friends of the owners of the property. The police drew and cocked their guns and went in to see what was up- we found a romanian fella in his truck and the police told him to come out and show both hands- through charlie the translator (Romanian fella spoke english as does charlie..) he came out and explained that they were just sleeping there for the night... the police after some intense questioning uncocked the gunns, emptied and reloaded them to get ready for their next assignment.

It's a good day in Mexico when you call the police and noone gets shot...

but it was very close...

Blessings, on th ejourney,,

Until next time,

Mike and Shar and kids...

PS- TODAY IS MOVING DAY TO THE NEW CASA!!! PRAISE GOD!!

4 comments:

Tim and Annalisa Sawatzky said...

A cockroach and police - what a day. Hope your move goes well. We're moving here too. We're heading back to Martensville, yee haa. Just wanted to let you know we're keeping up-to-date with the blog and praying for you. Tell Sharlene that I hate cockroaches too. I was always glad to have an eager person around who thought it was sport to squish them. They are tough - why did God give them armor anyway?

Annalisa

VanEeBoyz said...

Hello!! God IS good!! What a blessing to see His faithfulness each day, and in providing you with what you need. I can totally empathize with Charlene and the cockcroach!!!! Those things are N-A-S-T-Y!!! When I was in the Philippines one decided to crawl through my hair while I was sleeping!! EEEEEKK! S that thing made it across the room in a hurry! I was too shocked to kill it. May God continue to bless you all there, and encourage your hearts as you serve Him.
God bless
Nicole for us Van Ees

VanEeBoyz said...

(# 2 attempt... I typed you a little comment but it didn't show up.. so I am sorry if you get it twice!) Hello!! God IS Good!!! So encouraged to hear all of God's provisions for you. His faithfulness is new every day. May God continue to encourage your hearts. I can totally empathise with Charlene. Those cockcroaches are N-A-S-T-Y!!!! When I was in the Philippines I had one crawl through my hair while I was sleeping!! EEEEKK! I also used many shoes to smack them in my little apartment.. You have to hit them pretty hard.
We hope you are enoying your new place... May God continue to bless you as you labour there.
In Christ,
Nicole for us Van Ees

VanEeBoyz said...

Oh dear... I just noticed that the comments don't show up until they are approved... Quite hilarious.. Oh well, now you will really know we are thinking of you... good thing I wriote a little different each time. :o)
Nicole Van Ee