Sunday, August 27, 2006

Last Night in Langham



Here I am sitting in the corner of our living room, on the floor, tapping the keys of the laptop. The house is really empty, except for a few empty boxes, the couch the people moving in here next have already brought in and the last minute things you can’t really do much with until, well, the last minute.

Tomorrow I’m taking the boys to church while Shar finishes the cleanup process and packs the last few boxes- and then… off to Mexico.

We started off selling our stuff, but a lot of it is 2nd hand to us, so that did not cause a lot to go, so then we began to give it away. It went a bit quicker then! All of us have had things that it has been particularly tough to part with. But with a 10 foot tent trailer, you can’t take much.

Today for Shar it was a walnut 4 drawer dresser that was quite old and in good shape. She refinished it herself with a friend in Highschool- more than 15 years ago. We had planned on taking it, but after packing most of our stuff, we realized that there just was not enough room.

For me today it was a computer (Surprise!). I built it myself out of parts I have collected over the years, upgrading it every now an then you make a pretty decent machine out of a mixture of new and discarded parts. It’s been a part of a hobby of mine to fix it, break it again and then fix it again. We had no room for it either and so I left it here for someone to sell for me.

Now with all of my families remaining worldly possessions packed into a 10’X6’X2’ trailer and what can be stuffed into a cartop carrier and the inside of a grand voyageur, I’m reminded of a few sermons I’ve preached where I have emphatically stated- “life is not about the stuff we own!” Sure hope I’m right!!

Now we’re off to a 5 day adventure crossing 3 nations, through 8 states and provinces, over 3200km to a new life and a new mission. As much as I can, I’ll keep you up to date on this blog during the trip- and once we arrive in Mexico, internet access will be hit and miss for the first little while- but we’ll update as often as possible.

Thanks for Reading. Jesus has met us here on this journey. He has provided our needs, through many of you! And we look forward to seeing how He uses this next step in our lives to make us more like Him and to see people drawn to Himself as Lord and saviour!

Until next time,

mike




No comments: