Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Day 2- Saskatoon to Havre Montana

I was able to get a Uhaul trailer and someone to come out and help us transfer our stuff from the tent trailer to the Uhaul. Praise God! A friend, Wes Long, even agreed to come out and get the old tent trailer for us. I'm not sure if he will scrap it, or keep it or what He'll do, but I strongly suggest he not put a ton of household goods into it unless he plans on going less that 27 km with it!

We were finally off at noon. The drive was quite uneventful for most of the trip. For those of you following with a map (ok...maybe noone else would do that... I love maps...) We travelled out of Saskatoon on Hwy 7 until we crossed Hwy 4. Both were pretty good roads until we reach Swift Current. Somewhere south of Swift current the road changes into an antelope trail- complete with live antelopes on the road! We saw more prairie antelopes today then ever!. The trail eventually takes us through sizeable pot holes ( which likely act as duck ponds in the spring ) and around through massive fields of grass. miles and miles of treeless prairie grass!

Then we hit the border. Interesting place, borders. I'm not sure what one has to do wrong, or right, to get posted at a border post that sees more migrating antelope and prairie dogs than people, but whatever it was... Mr. Fish did it.

Mr. Fish asked us what we were doing and where we were going. But didn't seem to like the Answer "Moving to Mexico". His logical and reasonable question was "How do I know you are not moving into the states?"

Good Question, Mr. Fish...

Do you have any papers proving that you are going to mexico.

Thankfully, my wit was tempered by my "antelope in the headlights" attitude and I did NOT answer him in the standard reply... " Papers... I don't need no stinking papers!" with a Mexican Accent ( Bandito was handily subdued here!).

So I simply answered Him with a blank stare... So he asked, is there anyone I can call to verify that this is true? So in we went to call our YUGO office in Canada and the US to see if I really was supposed to be moving to Mexico.

Thankfully they gave him the right answer and Mr. Fish let us go. His companion checked out our uhaul, gave one look at it and said... "I don't really wanna take all that stuff out- so if you could help me close the door..." So I did and off we went.

Finally into the USA.

about 20minutes into the USA my gas calculations worked out perfectly to allow us to get a nice full (really full!) tank of cheapish US gas as soon as we crossed the border! Loring Montana was supposed to provide us with that.

Loring Montana has a bar, a post office, a grocery store, a mechanics shop and 6 people who call it home. Notice I said nothing about a gas station.

My beaming gas light shone brighter in my face as we came down the hill to see that this postage stamp size community certainly had no gas station. I spoke to the local mechanic/ Gas shark and purchased 2.5 gallons of gas for $15.00 /Canadian (thankfully he took Canadian, because, beleive it or not - there was no currency exchange depot here!) For the record, I was so thankful to get the gas I was ok with the stated price, though I do beleive that the town could use another gas shark so that competition could keep the prices down.

From there we wound through some beautiful country to Havre Montana for anights rest. We are thankful for safety, for gas when we needed it, for a relatively smooth border crossing and still, the eveidence of God's grace and provision.

Day 3 will be hopefully be from Havre Montana to Pocatelloe Idaho.

Blessings,

Until next time,
Mike

1 comment:

Tim and Annalisa Sawatzky said...

Wow! Seems you still have a sense of humour about things. That will be a very good asset I'm sure! Thanks for keeping us updated and we'll be praying...that the Mexico border goes just as smoothly.

Annalisa