Sunday, August 24, 2008

When coffee isn't enough...

So last night at about 1AM I awoke in excruciating pain with kidney stones. I wasn't sure what it was and after searching the internet for a few minutes we called friends to come over and stay here with the kids while we went into the hospital.

I got in almost right away, as it appeared I was the only one in the hospital doubling over in mind boggling pain. They searched for a vein with the delicacy of a farmer on a rare T-bone steak. Finally with a spurt of blood, they found a vein and put the medicated IV on me. Within 30 minutes I was no longer howling in agony. I was in there for another half hour before they let me go, relatively pain free.

By the time we actually got to sleep it was about 4AM. I got up several times in the night to rid myself of excess IV fluid so neither one of us got a great amount of sleep. I witnessed Shar's cure for the morning blues ( "Everything" bagel with cream cheese and jalapenos. "Electric Breakfast") and felt it was blogworthy. I've never seen her do this before, but apparantly it gave her the kick she needed when she had less than 5 hours sleep, and coffee just wasn't enough.

No comments: