Monday, October 02, 2006

I was thinking the other day about how routine life had gotten

And how it was becoming more difficult to come up with blogs because of the lack of new things to say.

Then this weekend happened...

It started on Friday night- with the spider incident. Didn't I tell you about the Spider incident... I wish I had good pictures- the one I took does not do this monster justice. The 1 mosquito that got in was buzzing me and Shar, occasionally biting us to- it kept us up quite some time until I said I was going to keep the light on to battle this foe with all senses.

then I saw it. It was across the room on the ceiling at the far corner. Even from the other side of the room it looked HUGE. So I screamed like a little girl (not really, it was actually quite a manly scream...) and we both got up to inspect the critter. It was big. And hairy. And BIG... Did I mention hairy?

I found our handy-dandy bottle of roach spray and drowned the spider with it. At first contact- he fell to the ground- with not a little fanfare. I just about emptied the bottle on him and then finished him off with Sharlene's cane. Now after a while we checked out the internet to see what kind of spider it was- and it seems to be to have been a hobo spider- Some other folks think it might have been a small tarantula, which really is not much of a consolation to me.

After we exited him from the apartment via the BBQ tongs (glad we brought them!), it was time for a restless "sleep".

Sunday Afternoon we took Sharlene to Ensenada, Mexico to Language School.
She will be there from Sunday till Friday living with an older Mexican couple to get fully immersed in the language. They say that 1 week there is equivalent to 1 semester university Spanish. The hope is that she'll have the tools necessary to get by here and improve in her Spanish incrementally with tutoring.

So now the boys are batching it!

As soon as we got back, I got on the phone and the boys kept complaining that the toilet would not flush- this is normal for us, so I took no heed and kept chatting with my seester (see, I'm picking up a Spanish accent!). Until I noticed water seeping from the boys bedroom. It seemed that something was wrong. The shower was backing up with the rottenest stench coming up from the drain and 2 inches of water to boot. The "Fosa" was backing up. We went to the landlord and tried to find a truck to pump out the Fosa, but could not find anyone to do it on a Sunday. "manana" they kept saying. Manana? The place may float away by then!

We came back to the house to find the toilet overflowed all through our bedroom with almost 1 inch of water- Our storage for blankets, clothes and a host of other things is under our bed and they were all soaked! After several hours of mopping with the landlords son, we got it dry enough to sleep in for the night.

It turns out the problem was that the little plug on the back of the toilet broke and the water was seeping out into the fosa al day- filling it up until it overflowed into the shower and the toilet and eventually into my sweaters.

Monday came and the fosa got pumped and our things were drying out bit but bit... Life seemed pretty good. (by the way, we're looking for somewhere else to rent!)

Then Julio came over. Julio is our 2 year old neighbour and has become a kind of friend to the boys. It was Calebs break from homeschool and Jacob was home from kindergarten. Julio, Caleb and Jacob were playing outside when Caleb came in the house in a rush to the bathroom. On the upside, I got to learn a new phrase in Spanish "Julio tiro excretementos de perro en mi Hijo, Y mi hijo vomitos en mi casa"

Which translated means- "Julio threw dog poop on my son and my son is now puking in my house!"

It goes well with the other phrase I learned this week- "Julio spat on my sons arm/face/body"

I have a feeling that as long as there are dogs in the neighbourhood, I'll need to remember that phrase.

So as you can see, our Spanish vocabulary is increasing, and our patience is being tested! Please Continue to pray for us- shar as she is learning Spanish intensively, and me as I clean up puke, poop, water and whatever else comes our way!

God is always good!

Blessings until next time,

Mike

No comments: