Friday, May 11, 2007

Mexican Moose

A dog story....


Just before we moved into our most recent abode, we found a puppy that attached himself to us. We named him “moose” because we thought he would be very big. It turns out, 8 months later, that he is just a medium sized dog with some pecurliarities about him.

Moose likes bones.

Most dogs like bones, i guess. But Moose REALLY likes bones. He seems to be able to find bones too. We've only given him one bone, but if you looked in our yard, it looks like some creepy cow graveyard. Moose has brought back half cow skulls, back bones, hip bones, other bones of unknown origin.. His most recent acquisition was some kind of canine skull. There was no skin on it, thankfully, but the teeth are in good shape and you can still see flesh from the roof of the mouth.

We collected all the bones in the yard and put it in one spot so we could see them all together. It is quite impressive. I'm thinking in a couple of months we could build our own cow structure like you see at the dinosaur museums...

But for now- it just looks like a warning to potential burglars that this dog is not worth messing with!!

Rodent dog

The other day I was leaving early for some trainng classes and I found a dead mouse in the yard that moose had gotten in the night. So I called the boys out to see. They laughed when they saw a huge Stuffed Mickey Mouse in the yard- head in tact, but body had the stuffing ripped out of it- literally-- all over the yard.
One evening i opened our door to the most awful stench I have experienced in a long time. It was coming from something fluffy on our porch...
It used to be a squirrel. But it had run into a car- or the car ran into it, anyway, it was squished. And moose thought, for some reason, that we'd like to see it.
So I got out the shovel, held my breath and turned that stinky rodent into a flying squirrel into the canyon below- at least I thought that's where it went. Later on the next day while I was out- the squirrel came back for a visit. Shar found it this time, and not wanting to repeat the experience, she tossed it far enough into the canyon that even moose won't be able to get it.

I wonder if anyone lives in the canyon???

Garbage dog...

Not only does moose like bones and rodents, but he LOVES garbage. The stinkier the better for him. I wouldn't mind so much if he would go up the road and tear apart some garbage somewhere else, but the little rotter doesn't just tear up the trash, he steals the bag and brings it home!
So 2 or 3 times a week (usually around garbage day) Moose comes back with a bag or two of garbage and has a feast. -- the leftovers are spread around the yard and the boys have an enjoyable time cleaning it up!

Shoes.

I don't know where he finds them. I don;t know why he likes them so much, but this moose dog will bring back shoes once or twice a week. Not pairs... only singles.
Some are obviously well used, others not so much...


What do we do with our bone collecting, dead rodent dragging, shoe stealing, garbage thieving dog?

Try not to get kissed by him--


until next time,


Mike

1 comment:

Lisa Sawatzky said...

I think I like your dog. He has the coolest name! I think if I ever get a big dog, I may steal that name from you. After all, it's not likely they'll ever meet. :)